Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC - Michelle Obama's Connection

To watch speech see http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/michelle

Michelle Obama connected with me tonight. What mother can't relate to the story about the new father driving oh-so-carefully on the way home from the hospital with a newborn. I remember going through the exact same thing when my son was born.

When she talked about her father who lived with MS and struggled to get dressed to go to work, I thought of one of my closest (Republican) friends who lives with MS on a daily basis, and whose mother died from MS many years ago. I felt like I understood Michelle Obama better after she shared that close personal detail with us.

When Michelle talked about why she left her job at a high-paying law firm to pursue public interest work, I understood her fully. I did the same thing.

Watching her as a mom with her beautiful children made me feel like she could be one of my friends.

Hearing her brother describe how she woke him up early on Christmas reminded me of my own sister and helped me to envision her as a child and a sister.

As a civil rights lawyer, I jumped for joy when she stressed the need to fight for pay equity, because that's a struggle I've actively pursued for more than 10 years, and it gives me hope to hear that it is part of the national discussion.

Seeing her speak made me feel like I had a better understanding of Obama as a father, a man, and a person. What an amazing introduction of the Obama family to the World. I felt like they could be part of my own family.


And how ADORABLE are those two little girls!! Someone at the Progressive Democrats gathering this week said that they would love to see the girls playing on the White House lawn. It's a great visual.

Yes, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt a deeper connection with Michelle Obama tonight. She should sleep well knowing she handled that huge moment in her life, and in the life of our potential next president, so very well.