Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DNC - Hear from a Friend of Mine - Hillary's Speech



While I watched Hillary's speech from the HRC's Rock to Win concert, a friend of mine had the privilege of attending in person at the Pepsi Center.

You'll find his thoughts interesting:

The DNC was a blast. Star sightings everywhere... I exchanged pleasantries with Charles Barkley and Katie Couric, had my picture taken with James Carville and Paul Begala, and sat just one section over from former President Clinton.

As a poli sci major, I was totally geeked for the event and it did not disappoint. I only wish we had tickets for Barack Thursday night now. It was hard to pay close attention to all of the speeches (with the exception of Hillary), though my sense is that more people came away talking about the Montana Governor than Warner, Strickland, or the other more prominent speakers.

As for Hillary, I guess she did her job, though for me it lacked an intangible something in support of Barack. More so this morning, after sleeping on it, than last night when it was easy to get caught up in the moment.

It struck me at its core as essentially the same speech she would have given had she won the nomination, mostly about her background, her causes, and her successes -- with a few token "we must support Barack" lines thrown in -- rather than a more complete backing of Barack ("here's why he's ready to lead" etc.). I don't know if you saw the video on TV that they played in the convention hall, narrated by Chelsea, but the content and tone of the video were great.... very humorous and self-deprecating, the sort of approach that may have won her the nomination had she gone that route, rather than launching silly negative attacks. My wife and I agree that she was at her best after it was too late.

Thanks, Friend, for sharing this with me and for giving me permission to share it with our community! It seems as though we are all, in your word, geeked over the DNC!!